West River Electric
Top Image

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I have to pay a deposit?

West River Electric may require a deposit of a two months occupied average usage which includes apartments, houses, mobile homes, and businesses. The deposits are required as a proven measure to protect the general membership from losses associated with unpaid bills. The deposit may be waived at the discretion of the cooperative if the member provides a satisfactory current reference.

What is a kWh?

kWh stands for Kilowatt Hour. kWh is the industry accepted measure of energy consumption. For example, a 100 Watt light bulb running for 10 hours would consume one KWH.

I'm leaving for the winter; do you have a vacation rate?

If you are going to be leaving your residence for an extended period of time we do not change your account to a separate vacation rate but it is still a good idea to inform us that you are gone and when you will return. Not only will we be able to forward your mail to your temporary residence, but your Cooperative's employees will also know why there may be sudden changes in electricity consumption. By notifying us when you are gone we are less likely to suspect metering problems with your residence.

Why is my bill so high?

Your bill is strictly driven by the amount of electricity you consume in the course of a month. To reduce the size of your bill you must reduce the amount of energy you consume. If you would like to learn how to conserve electricity, click here for helpful energy conservation ideas.101 Low Cost Energy Saving Measures - (PDF).

How much do you charge per kwh?

West River Electric offers multiple rates based on specific load types such as residential or commercial. The best place to look to see how much you are paying per kWh on your particular load is to review the service portion of your bill. If you do not have a current bill to review please feel free to call our office at 1-888-393-1500 or simply e- mail us with your name and address and we would be happy to let you know or mail you a card of the current rates.

How do I disconnect service?

When you know the date that you will no longer require service simply call us and we will set up a service order for the date you request. We generally require a 24 hour notice for service changes.

How do I connect service?

You need to fill out an application for service, and we will setup a service order for the date requested. An application is available on the sign up for service section on this website, you may request one by phone, or stop in at either office for one. We generally require a minimum of 24 hours notice for all transfer requests. Sign up for service

What are capital credits?

Each year the Cooperative allocates margins (which are the excess of revenues over expenses) to each of the members who have paid in revenues in that year. This is done by dividing the Cooperative's total allocated margins by total patronage revenue, and then multiplying the resulting percentage by each member's revenue contribution for the previous year. Each member's allocated portion is referred to his/her capital credits for the year.

When do I receive my capital credits?

Capital credits may be returned by either a general retirement or estate retirement, as approved by the Board of Directors, based on the current financial condition of the Cooperative. General retirements are typically made on annual basis. Heirs or estates of deceased members may file a claim for assignment of accumulated capital credits or choose a current payment based on a discounted present value method. It is important to understand that allocated capital credits are not liquid cash sitting in a bank account. These funds are a critical form of capitalization to the Cooperative and are used mainly for purchase of distribution plant and payment of long-term debt.

Get Acrobat Reader
Note: The forms marked in PDF format require Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download Acrobat Reader free of charge from Adobe's web site. This is a safe, fast and easy installation.
Bottom Image

West River Electric Association, Inc. || Copyright © All Rights Reserved
Rapid City office || 605.393.1500 || 1.888.393.1500 || info@westriver.com
Wall & Enning area office || 605.279.2135 || 1.888.279.2135 || info@westriver.com
Site Developed in part by Basin Electric Power Cooperative